Known as amla candy in India; Sweet, Crunchy and Healthy
Indian Gooseberries: 1.5 kg
Sugar: 1 kg
Black Cardamom: 2 (seeds only)
Dry Ginger Powder: 1 tbsp
1) Cover and steam the gooseberries in 3 cups of water (approx 400 ml) in a large vessel. Cook all the pieces evenly by stirring it from botton to the surface. Pierce with a fork to see if done (approx 15-20 min). Do not overcook. The color changes from green to light yellow.
2) Remove from heat and strain the water. Cool it. Cut along the striations of the gooseberry to get 6 slices from each piece. Discard the seed.
3) Heat sugar with 100 ml of water in a deep bottom pan. Add the sliced gooseberry along with powdered cardamom seeds and dried ginger powder. Heat on high flame for 10-15 min. Gooseberries absorb sugar syrup, turns translucent and light brown in color. It also releases water loosening the syrup. Remove from flame. For overnight, soak the gooseberry in the syrup.
4) Strain the gooseberries from the syrup. Reserve the syrup. Boil the syrup on high heat till water evaporates (approx 45 min). The syrup rises to the surface and turns frothy when done.Add the gooseberries to the hot syrup. Simmer for 10-15min. Remove from heat. Soak the gooseberries overnight in the syrup. The gooseberries absorb maximum sugar, sinks to the bottom and has no bitterness.
5) Strain the gooseberries from the syrup. Spread individual slices on a plate. Dry it in the sun for 2-3 days.
6) Sprinkle 150 gm of powdered sugar, mix well and store in an airtight container.
1) Do not overcook the gooseberries while steaming
2) Do not add excess sugar. 1 kg of sugar is enough for 1.5 kg of whole gooseberries.
1) Use in cakes and desserts as fruit candy for crunch and flavor
2) Reserve syrup obtained at the end is approx 300 ml. Use the syrup for making sherbets if desired.
3) Sprinkling sugar increases shelf-life and makes the candied gooseberries non-sticky. Skip if desired.
1) Substitute ginger powder with nutmeg powder/fennel powder
2) Substitute black cardamom with 1 tbsp of green cardamom seeds
Serve as dessert post meal or use as fruit candy in making fruit cakes. Store candied gooseberries in cool, dry place (5-18 oC). Use within 6 months -1 year.