Chicken Hakka Noodles
Chicken Hakka noodles with healthy vegetables cooked in oyster sauce; easy and tasty
Hakka Noodles: 150 gm
Garlic Pods: 5-6 (finely chopped or minced)
Green Chili: 3 (deseeded and finely chopped)
Yellow Onion: 1 (small, thinly sliced)
Black/White Pepper Powder: ½ tbsp+ 1 tsp
Carrot: 1 (Batons)
Cabbage: 1 cup (shredded)
Capsicum: ½ (sliced)
Celery Stalk: 1 tbsp (chopped)
Boneless Chicken: 1 cup
Maggi Magic cube (bouillon): 1 (finely crushed)
Soy sauce: ½ tbsp
Vinegar: 1 tbsp
Oyster Sauce: 1 tbsp
Sugar: ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil: 4-5 tbsp + 2 tbsp
1) Boil excess water in a sauce pan. Add hakka noodles and 1 tbsp of salt. Cook till it is ¾ th done. Strain in a colander and pass cold water thoroughly till the noodles cool. Add 2 tbsp of oil to the noodles and mix well. Keep aside.
2) Separate green from the white of the scallion. Chop finely the white and green separately. Blanch carrot for 4 min. Drain. Keep aside.
3) Heat oil in a fry pan. Fry chicken pieces till it is golden brown (approx 7-8 min). Add salt and pepper (1 tsp). Mix well. Keep aside.
4) Add chopped garlic and green chili. Fry for 2 min. Add sliced onions and celery. Fry for 4 min. It should not turn brown but just cook through.
5) Add chicken pieces, carrots and capsicum. Fry for 2 min.
6) Add bouillon cubes, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and oyster sauce. Mix well. Fry for 1 min.
7) Add the noodles. Remove from heat. Mix well. Add pepper powder and salt. All the sauces and bouillon cube have salt, so adjust accordingly.
8) Add green scallions and shredded cabbage. Mix well. Toss the noodles on high heat for 5 min.
9) Remove from heat.
1) Avoid overcooking the noodles. It should be soft enough but should not be raw to taste.
2) Avoid adding excess vinegar or the noodles will turn sour
1) Adding oil at the end of cooking keeps the noodles moist and non-sticky
2) You may skip oyster sauce, celery stalks and bouillon cubes if not available
3) You may add crushed red chili flakes in place of green chili
4) Blanching preserves the color and crunch of the carrots
5) Add mushrooms and broccoli (blanch) for flavor if desired
Substitute chopped celery stalk with cilantro stalk
Serve hot with chili tomato szechuan sauce if desired.