Easy Cabbage Paratha Recipe- Indian
Instant Cabbage Paratha -An ideal quick and healthy recipe for breakfast or dinner
Green Cabbage (Shredded/finely grated): 1 cup
Wheat Flour: 2 cups + ½ cup for dusting
Yellow Onion: (finely chopped): 1
Ginger: 2 inch (finely grated)
Green Chili: 2 (finely chopped)
Carom seeds/Ajwain: 1 tsp
Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
Garam Masala: 2 tsp
Coriander/Cilantro leaves: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Water: 1 ½ cups (approx)
Clarified Butter/ Ghee: (1+3) tbsp (for frying)
1) Mix salt and shredded/grated/finely chopped cabbage. Keep aside for 10 min. Squeeze and remove excess water (degorging). Throw away the water and keep the cabbage.
2) Add the cabbage to the wheat flour. Add 1 tbsp of ghee, chopped onion, chopped chili, carom seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chopped cilantro/coriander leaves, grated ginger and very little salt to the wheat flour. Do not add excess salt as it was added at step 1.
3) Knead the flour with small amount of water at intervals to get tight dough
4) Roll the dough into small balls (approx the size of a small orange). Powder both the side of dough ball with wheat flour. Roll the dough evenly to make chapatti using a rolling pin and a board. Dust with the flour at regular intervals to avoid sticking.
5) Dust off the excess flour and place it on a hot non-stick tawa pan. Partially cook on both sides till blisters appear. Smear it with ghee and again toast well on both sides till the blisters turn golden brown.
6) Remove the Paratha from pan when sufficiently crispy
1) As the cabbage tends to softens in the presence of salt, the dough loosen up. Use the dough immediately and do not keep aside for longer.
2) Add small amount of water at regular intervals while kneading to get tight dough
3) Salt is added in twice in the recipe. Do not add in excess.
1) In place of degorging, the shredded cabbage can be sautéed first (to soften it) with little oil to remove excess water and then added to the flour. This step can also be considered if you find raw cabbage small offensive.
2) Add coriander powder (1/2 tsp), cumin Powder (1/2 tsp) and dry mango powder (1/4 tsp) if desired for spiciness
1) Substitute clarified butter with vegetable oil or butter
2) Substitute green chili with red chili powder (1 tsp)
Serve hot with curd (sweet/salty) and pickled vegetables