Easy Indian Aloo Paratha
Indian potato stuffed flatbread popularly called aloo paratha is crispy, moist and spicy; ideal for cold winter morning breakfast
Whole wheat flour: 2 cups (300 gm)
Potato: 2 medium
Onion: 1 large
Mint leaves: 6-7 (chopped)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp (chopped)
Dry mango powder (amchur): ½ tsp
Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder: 1 tbsp
Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee/ vegetable oil for frying: 2 tbsp
1) Knead the flour with water without adding salt to a smooth tight dough
2) Take 2 cups of water in a pressure cook with the potatoes. After the first whistle turn the heat to low. Boil for 3-4 whistles till done (approx 20 min). Cool. Peel the potatoes. Mash it with a fork. Keep aside to cool.
3) Finely chop the onions, mint, and coriander leaves
4) Mix well the potato, onion, fresh herbs and the spices with salt. Break any potato lumps into a smooth mixture.
5) Take a big ball of the dough the size of a medium onion on a rolling board. Flatten it to the size of a puri or a papadam using a rolling pin dusting it with the flour to prevent sticking to the surface of the board.
6) Keep the stuffing at the center of the flattened dough the size of a large lemon. Bring together the edges and roll into a paratha dusting with the flour at intervals to avoid sticking to the surface. The paratha is slightly thick than a standard roti.
7) Heat a flat fry pan or tava griddle. Put the rolled paratha and cooked on both sides till light golden brown blisters appear. Smear each side with one tsp of oil or ghee. Fry well both sides till crisp golden brown on low heat.
8) Remove from heat
Do not add salt to the potato while pressure cooking. The outside becomes mushy and overcooked while the inside remains undercooked and raw.
If the dough breaks while rolling, dust with flour to cover it
1) Substitute dry mango powder/amchur with lime juice (1/2 lemon)
2) Substitute red chili powder with finely chopped green chili (two)
Serve hot with sweet yogurt, pickle, and cilantro mint chutney