Easy Pan Fried Fish
Kerala style easy pan fried fish coated with spices and shallow fried in curry leaves
Threadfin Bream: 2 (cleaned)
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
Fresh Black Pepper Powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp
Coconut Oil: 2 tbsp+ 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
Curry Leaves: One handful
Salt to taste
1) Make thin pockets on the fish on both sides
2) Mix together the spices in 2 tbsp of coconut oil and mix well. Evenly coat the fish with the spices and apply it in the pockets. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 h.
3) Heat 2 tbsp of coconut and 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a fry pan. Add curry leaves. Allow the spluttering to finish. Add the fish on a low flame.
4) Fry on both sides till crisp.
Do not turn the fish often or its skin peels off and breaks apart. Turn only when each side gets the desired color and crispiness.
1) Adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice or 1 tbsp of vinegar in the marinade gives flavor. Do not keep fish in this acidic marinade for long or the fish breaks while cooking. Ideal time is 15 min.
2) Avoid using yogurt, excess of ginger and garlic paste in the marinade as the fish sticks to the pan and burns without turning crispy.
Substitute threadfin bream (kilimeen: malayalam) or pink perch with any other fish of your choice. Reduce the cooking time accordingly.
Serve hot with rice