Kerala Red Coconut Chutney
Kerala Coconut chutney made with red chilies and tamarind; simple and delicious
Coconut (scraped): 1 ½ cup
Whole dry red chilies: 2
Ginger: 1 inch (chopped)
Shallots: 4 (sliced)
Tamarind Pulp: 1 tbsp
Water: 2 tbsp
Coconut Oil: 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
1) Heat 2 tbsp oil in a fry pan. Add ginger and fry till golden brown.
2) Add sliced shallots and fry till golden brown
3) Add the dried red chilies. Fry for 1 min.
4) Add the coconut and fry for 5 min till nutty aroma comes and coconut just turns brown.
5) Remove from heat. Cool. Add the tamarind pulp and salt.
6) Grind with minimum amount of water. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix well.
Do not over fry the coconut. It should get little color.
1) Add coconut oil at the end to enhance the flavor
2) Adjust the tamarind pulp as per the desired tanginess
1) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
2) Substitute Whole Red chilies with red chili powder
Serve with Dosa, Idli or Rice