Black lentil balls made with ginger and curry leaves; a perfect breakfast or evening snack
Skinless black lentil: 1 cup
Ginger: 1 inch (finely chopped)
Green chili: 2-3 (finely sliced)
Curry leaves: 4-5 (chopped)
Onion: 1 small (finely chopped)
Vegetable Oil: 3 cups (for deep frying)
Salt to taste
1) Soak skinless black lentil for 4 hour or overnight. Wash well. Remove the excess water by keeping it on stainer for 30 min.
2) Grind the lentil to a smooth paste adding only 4-5 tbsp of water. It should be a thick batter. Remove in a dish. Add ½ cup of water, ginger, green chili and salt to the lentil and grind to a smooth paste.
3) Add to the batter, finely sliced onions, chopped curry leaves, green chilies, and ginger. Add salt. Mix well. The consistency should be of a thick paste.
4) Heat oil in a fry pan. Using a spoon drop small balls into the oil. Alternatively, you may wet your palm with water. Form small balls and drop into the oil.
5) Fry till golden brown on low heat. Remove from heat.
Do not overheat the oil and burn the lentil balls. Make small balls to cook evenly.
1) If the consistency of the batter is watery, add roasted rice flour or semolina to make a thick paste.
2) Wetting the hands before forming balls makes the mixture non-sticky and easy to slide into the oil. Be careful and keep a distance when you drop the balls into the oil.
Substitute green chili with peppercorns or dried red chili flakes.