Pumpkin and Red lentil Dhal Curry
Red lentil made with pumpkin in coconut milk makes a tasty and creamy Dhal curry
Boil (pressure cook):
Pumpkin cubes: 100 gm
Red Lentil: 1 ½ cups
Turmeric: ¼ tsp
Water: 4 cups
Salt to taste
Coconut scraped: 1 Tbsp
Yellow Onion (small): 1(finely chopped)
Curry Leaves: 7-8
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Asafetida: ¼ tsp (optional)
Red Chili Powder: 3 tsp
Coconut oil: 3 tbsp
Thick Coconut milk: 1 cup
1) Pressure cook red lentil, pumpkin, salt and turmeric powder with water till pumpkin is soft. Cool and mash up the pumpkin with the back of a ladle till pumpkin and lentil is soft. Add more water if desired to maintain a semi-thick consistency. Simmer on a slow heat.
2) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add asafetida and fry for 30 sec.
3) Add finely chopped onion. Fry till translucent. Add scraped coconut. Fry on a low flame till golden brown.
4) Add red chili powder. Fry for 1-2 min on a low flame.
5) Add curry leaves. Fry for 1 min. Add this tempering to the red lentil curry.
6) Mix well. Check for salt and add if desired. Bring to a boil and then simmer.
7) Add coconut milk on a low heat. Heat it through. Do not boil.
8) Remove from heat.
Do not boil after adding coconut milk or it curdles
Add scraped coconut only after adding onion or it burns
1) Substitute red lentil with yellow lentil
2) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice and lemon wedges.