A rice pudding made with palm jaggery and ghee. A tasty south Indian dessert
Boiled Rice/Raw Rice: ½ cup
Water: 1 ½ cup
Jaggery (grated): 1 cup
Ghee: 2 tbsp
Sliced Almonds: 4-5
Grated Coconut: 2 tbsp
1) Pressure cook the rice with water. It should be soft but not overcooked.
2) Add grated jaggery to a sauce pan with ½ cup of water. Boil and strain the impurities. Add to the pan.
3) Evaporate the water from jaggery till its thick
4) Add rice. Cook till water evaporates and the mixture is dry.
5) Add ghee and fry till it turns glossy
6) Add cardamom pods, sliced almonds and grated coconut. Fry for 2 min.
7) Remove from heat
1) Boiled rice if undercooked dries out and becomes hard on adding jaggery. Pressure cook on a low flame for 20 min.
2) Raw rice cooks fast. Time required is 10 min in a pressure cooker. It has a tendency to overcook.
3) Another method is to boil the rice in excess water. Strain the water once cooked. The rice should press between the fingers but not mash up on stirring. Add the rice to the sauce pan with jaggery.
4) Serve warm or at room temperature. Chilling hardens the ghee.
1) Use dark variety of jaggery
2) Add coconut milk/milk to get a liquid consistency
3) Add ripe banana and dry ginger powder (1/2 tsp) for a different flavor
Substitute almonds with cashew nuts and raisins
Serve warm, garnished with sliced almonds