Spinach and Yellow Lentil Curry
A tasty and healthy way to incorporate spinach and lentil in your diet
Yellow Lentil (pigeon pea): 1 cup
Spinach Leaves: 1 bowl (roughly chopped)
Tomato (chopped): 1
Red Onion (chopped): 1
Ginger (paste): 1 tsp
Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
Green Chilies: 3
Curry Leaves: 4-5
Asafetida: ¼ tsp
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Water: 2 ½ cups
Vegetable oil for frying: 2 tbsp
1) Add lentil, spinach leaves, salt, turmeric and water in a pressure cooker. Remove the cooker from the flame after 3 whistles.
2) Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
3) Add ginger and garlic paste. Let it fry for 2 min. Add chopped green chili and curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
4) Add chopped onions and asafetida. Fry till golden brown.
5) Add chopped tomatoes. Fry for 2 minutes.
6) Add the boiled spinach and lentil. Bring to a boil.
7) Simmer on low flame for 4 min. Remove from .
Boil the lentil well and make it mushy
1) Asafetida is an antiflatulent. Use it in small quantities.
2) Adjust salt if needed
3) Add grated coconut to increase the flavor
4) Another way is to chop the spinach and add at step 5 (with tomato while tempering). Once tomato is pulpy and spinach cooked, add the boiled dal and mix.
1) Substitute pigeon pea with other yellow lentils
2) Substitute mustard seeds with cumin seeds
Serve hot as soup or with Bread/ Rice