Boiled tapioca stir fried with shallots and garlic-simple, tasty
Fresh Tapioca: 250 gm (Cleaned and cubed)
Fresh coconut: 2 tbsp (scraped)
Shallots: 7-8 (one handful)
Garlic: 3-4 cloves
Red chili flakes: 1 tbsp
Red chili powder: ½ tsp
Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
Sugar: 1 tsp (optional)
Curry leaves: 7-8
Coconut oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1) Add tapioca cubes to 1 liter of boiling water. Add 1 tsp of salt. Drain the water when tapioca is cooked such that a fork can pass through easily. Do not overcook it.
2) Coarsely grind shallots, garlic and red chili flakes without adding any water
3) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
4) Add ground onion paste from step 2. Fry for 3-4 min. Add scraped coconut. Fry on low heat till the mixture is golden brown. Add curry leaves. Fry for 1 min.
5) Add red chili, sugar, salt and turmeric powder. Fry for 30 sec. Add boiled tapioca.
6) Stir fry tapioca on medium heat till crisp and golden brown (approx 10-12 min)
1) Do not overcook the tapioca. It sticks easily. Remove from fire when little crunch is still remaining.
2) Coarsely grind the onions. It should not be ground to a fine paste.
If tapioca is overcooked, pass running cold water through it to halt the cooking
1) Substitute shallots with 1 medium red onion
2) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
3) Substitute tapioca with potatoes or any tubers of your choice
Serve hot as a side dish with rice. It can also be served with chicken curry or fish curry.