Tomato Coconut Lentil Dahl Curry
Yellow lentil and tomatoes in a coconut sauce; a mild variation to the traditional dal
Yellow Lentil: 1 cup
Water: 2 ½ cups
Large Tomatoes: 2 (deskinned, roughly chopped)
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut: 1 cup
Cumin Seeds: ½ tsp
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
Water: 1 cup
Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
Curry Leaves: 4-5
Asafetida: ¼ tsp
Dried Red Chilies: 2
Coconut Oil: 3 tbsp
1) Add to the yellow lentil: tomatoes, water, salt and turmeric. Pressure cook for 3 whistles till the lentils are cooked and soft.
2) Grind to a fine paste - coconut, shallots, red chili powder and cumin seeds, by adding 1 cup of water.
3) Add the ground coconut mixture to the dal. Mix well. Simmer on a medium flame for 5 min.
4) Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Lower the flame to minimum.
5) Add finely chopped onion. Fry till golden brown (approx 5 min). Add asafetida, curry leaves and dried red chilies. Fry for 2 min.
6) Add to the dal and simmer on low flame for 5 min. Let the gravy thicken. Remove from heat.
Peel the tomatoes or the skin separates out after boiling
Thicken the gravy for better taste
1) Substitute coconut oil with vegetable oil
2) Substitute yellow lentil with red lentil
3) Substitute shallots with ¼ of an onion
Serve hot with Indian bread or Rice